Monday, June 6, 2011

Julia deVille

Combining the currency of style in edgy, modern pieces with the eerie-yet-fascinating macabre of taxidermy, Julia deVille is perhaps one of my favourite Australian jewellery makers.


Born and bred in New Zealand, deVille harbours a lust for afterlife in her collections, taking the bones and feathers of animals; the hair from human heads, to create intricately crafted pieces of jewellery that are breathtaking. 


I revel in anything that draws inspiration from the 15th-19th century and deVille's use of taxidermy to revive pieces of Memento Mori is outstanding. Her work deviates from morbidity into symbols of nature, human existence, Elizabethan and Victorian culture and a fascination with the transition of life into death. 


Only one stockist in Brisbane holds some of Julia deVille's jewellery and I think I'll have to take myself there one day this week, as I think each piece will only be more incredible in the flesh, (no pun intended).






Images: Australian Edge and Au Courant

Note: All animals used by Julia deVille were deceased through natural causes not for the sacrifice of art.

2 comments:

  1. Julia is amazing. I remember coming across her work a year or two ago. Have always wanted to own one of her pieces. I'd never wear it. I guess it would hang in the equivalent of a fashion pool room.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I know! I read an article on her in FALLEN magazine last year and have since been obsessed. I couldn't wear her pieces either; they're too delicate! Trophy jewellery is a justifiable investment, right?

    ReplyDelete